What it is and How it Affects Your St. Louis Heating and Air Conditioning
On August 16, President Biden signed the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) of 2022 into law. This act was focused on slowing inflation by dropping prices on prescription drugs, reducing the deficit, and combating climate change. The IRA is the biggest federal law of all time that focuses on climate change, sitting at a $369 billion investment. Clean energy sources and energy efficiency technology are some of the main focuses of these investment dollars.
A combination of rebates and tax credits are expected to save Americans over $37 billion across 100 million households! There are two different rebates that will help some of our St. Louis heating and air conditioning customers save money this year.
- HOMES Rebate Program: Over $4 Billion has been allocated to states to aid in moving residents toward more energy-efficient homes. The rebates in this program are based on the energy being saved in the home. For example, a household that takes steps to cut their energy usage by 35% can receive up to $4,000 in rebates. For low and middle income families, the rebate potential doubles to $8,000.
- High-Efficiency Electric Home Rebate Act (HEEHRA): Another great rebate for low and middle income families, the HEEHRA provides up to $14,000 in rebates to families that make their homes more energy reliant. Examples of steps that families can take include installing heat pumps or electric appliances.
What Does This Mean For Our Air Conditioning Service Customers?
While we already encourage moving toward more energy efficient units, we know that many people will be wondering what options they have to get access to the government money.
We are happy to help you assess your home’s heating and air conditioning and explore what options you have to work towards being more energy efficient. Some of our air conditioning maintenance customers have opted for smart thermostats and other methods for more energy efficiency and control over their system. On top of installing new equipment, there are other steps that can be taken to reduce energy usage and potentially get you closer to that 35% reduction rebate:
- Set your thermostat as high as you can bear in the summer.
- Use a programmable thermostat to adjust the temperature overnight, in the morning, and when you’re away.
- Don’t set your thermostat to extreme temperatures when turning on the heating or air conditioning in St. Louis. This doesn’t regulate the temperature faster and wastes energy.
- Make sure appliances, lamps or direct lights, or other heat sources are away from your thermostat.
- Install white window shades or blinds. This reflects sunlight away from the home in the summer.
- Keep south-facing windows covered during the day. Some families take it a step further and apply reflective film on them.
- Keep adequate caulking and weatherstripping around all windows and doors.
- Insulate spaces like attics, garages, and crawl spaces.
- Have regular air conditioning maintenance from Meyer Heating and Air to keep your system running at its best.
In St. Louis, air conditioning and heating work hard all year, so we are happy to help our customers reduce their energy costs and put money back in their pockets by way of lower utility bills and government rebates and tax credits.
Meyer Heating and Air is the Go-To Air Conditioning Service Provider for Energy Efficient Solutions
When you need a new energy efficient and reliable heating or air conditioning unit, Meyer will always have a strong recommendation that will work for your home and your needs. We are authorized dealers of all of the brands we install, so we are experts installing and maintaining them. Additionally, we can always guarantee you are getting quality products. Letting Meyer handle all of your St. Louis heating and air conditioning needs can save you big money and improve the performance of your system.
We also offer services to help improve the quality of the air in your home. Work with us on an indoor air quality system that provides air filtration and purification through humidifiers and dehumidifiers, creating the perfect atmosphere in your home. Advanced air quality systems are the way to go to keep your home free of allergens, debris, and other unwanted particles. Meyer Heating and Air is committed to improving every aspect of the air in your home!
Contact us to learn more about upgrading to energy-efficient heating and air conditioning in St. Louis. We are always available – literally. Reach out 24 hours a day, seven days a week and you will have someone willing to help you navigate your air conditioning service situation.