Available 24/7

3 Ways to Tell if Your Heater is Energy Efficient

energy efficient hvac

Heater Maintenance in St. Louis Can Help You Stay Warm This Winter

As winter weather is approaching, make sure your time and money are being spent on this holiday season, rather than an excessive energy bill.

Checking your heater’s energy efficiency is important to ensure you are not wasting your money and skipping out on HVAC maintenance.

Here are three key ways to determine if your heater is up to standard, and what you can do about it.

1. Understand Your AFUE

AFUE is the abbreviation for “Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency” which calculates how efficiently your furnace turns fuel into heat. This calculation uses percentages and is determined by taking the total heat output and dividing it by the heater’s total energy input.

AFUE is useful for homeowners because it indicates the heat produced for every dollar of fuel used. The higher an AFUE rating is, the greater the efficiency. For example, a furnace with an AFUE of 85 percent has 85 percent of its fuel transformed into energy to heat your home, while the other 15 percent is lost.

In older units, AFUE can be as low as 56 percent. In newer units, the AFUE should be at least 90 percent. Look for your AFUE on the cabinet of your furnace or in the user manual. Having a high AFUE rating doesn’t ensure you are in the clear, as there are other factors that can indicate you need to have a professional perform a heating maintenance check.

2. Consider the Age of Your Heating System

The lifespan of residential heating systems is between 15 and 20 years. If your heating system is approaching this age, it is time to consider replacing your heater.

Regular heater maintenance checks can help keep your system functioning effectively. However, it can’t prolong the aging of these units.

As time passes, heating systems become less effective and more costly month to month. Older units will have a lower AFUE rating that continues to decline by 5 percent every year. Purchasing a new unit can save homeowners more money over the long-term.

3. Compare Your Energy Bills for St. Louis Heating and Air Costs

Look for variations in your monthly electric or gas bills that could indicate your heater is using a large amount of energy.

A high bill can be an indication that your heater is working overtime to try to heat your home adequately. If this amount appears to be excessively high, then it is worth investigating further to determine whether you need prompt heater maintenance.

Each month’s bill isn’t expected to be the same due to normal living conditions in your home. However if you see a large spike in your electric bill, this could indicate an underlying issue with your HVAC system, and you might be facing the potential for an emergency HVAC repair.

Next Steps for Heater Maintenance

After determining your heater’s energy efficiency, you may reach the conclusion that heater maintenance is the next step.

The best course of action would be to contact a company that specializes in HVAC maintenance. Read below to find out what your HVAC system means for your home.

What is an HVAC system?

HVAC is the abbreviation for “heating ventilation, and air condition.” Your HVAC system helps control the heating, cooling, and ventilation of your home. The HVAC system brings in fresh outside air to produce high-quality inside air that is essential for a healthy living environment.

Signs Your Home Needs HVAC Maintenance

  • HVAC systems remove humidity from the air in your home. If your home is feeling stuffy, this could be a sign you need HVAC maintenance.
  • If your HVAC system is making weird noises, or if the air in your home smells musty, this could be another indication.
  • A change in airflow or no airflow at all in your home is enough of a concern to call a professional to perform a maintenance check or emergency HVAC repair.

Where to Go for Heating Maintenance

Whether your home needs a routine checkup or emergency HVAC repair, Meyer Heating & Air can be of service to you and your home’s needs.

Meyer Heating & Air is a family-owned business located in St. Louis, Missouri, and specializes in residential heating repair and maintenance. Find out you need a new heater? We can help you with the installation, as well as provide a free evaluation beforehand.

Looking for a provider of service for heating and air near you? Call Meyer Heating & Air at (314) 845-1929 to take care of all your home needs.